Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DEBRIEFING - Journal Entry #6


Now it’s time to reflect on my experience in this Colloquium class from both a personal and an academic perspective.  I can begin be saying I found that, by going through the assignments, I obtained a better insight into what was going on in our world.  Before I began this class, I had knowledge of endangered species.  However, one thing I didn’t know was that endangered species are on a few restaurants menus.  I also hadn’t given much thought about how eliminating a predator species would have such an enormous effect on a food species - even causing some to grow immensely population wise.  I developed a better understanding of world hunger issues, just how severe the issue actually is, along with what great things different organizations such as ECHO are doing to help the situation at hand.  The readings, video clips, and power point slides really opened my eyes to what is happening in the world every day, and how some of the simplest things can make an enormous difference with respect to the effect on our climate.   

Isn’t it ironic that we are creating large scale CO2 emissions which speed up the process of global warming on our planet, yet we are doing so very little to curb our output of carbon emissions?  This is quite disheartening, and encourages me to seriously consider all the technology that could be utilized as a cure for our addiction to fossil fuels.  Yes, we are getting better at removing the existing and remaining oil out of the ground, but our focus needs to change towards working on better solutions to use less destructive energy sources. 

These last 10 weeks have stirred a desire within me to get more involved to make our planet a better place to live.  As I move closer towards attaining my degree, one means by which I can get involved is to focus my job search on companies that are more environmentally aware, and which actually implement strategies and mission statements that take care of the planet in as many ways possible.  I may not be able to directly affect change at my chosen place of future employment, but one thing is certain – my future employer can do business with our environment in mind, and my efforts will be fruitful. 

I further enjoyed the many adventures and quality time I was able to spend with my wife on several of the required field trips. ECHO farm is my choice as favorite field trip.  Witnessing the many things being done locally, as well as globally, was pretty terrific.  It was also really good to visit the natural environments such as the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and be able to reconnect with nature – something we seem to do less and less of as a society.  These wonderful natural parks and preserves are something we should all hold dear to our hearts and not let disappear.  I had forgotten how peaceful and serene these places can be, and what a sense of place they can provide. 

The subject of sustainability and our environment is one that I believe every school and college should teach and require of their students.  I found the most difficult part of this class was trying to keep up with the workload.  At times, it felt like information overload, with all the readings and writings required.  But overall, this class is so informative, up to date with the information provided and studied, and having the best practical application to real everyday awareness, making it out to be a lot of fun in the long run!  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment